If you're moving to a new home, the fear of paying too much may tempt you to fib to your moving company about the size of your move. However, this can backfire badly. Some movers will take advantage of people who underestimate the size of their move, charging them more money than they would have paid if they had been truthful.
When you're asking for a moving estimate, you need to be honest about the size and scope of your move. Lying to your moving company can lead to higher costs and missed deadlines. It's necessary to be upfront and honest about what you need so that your moving company can give you an accurate estimate. It can also protect you from bad movers taking advantage of you.
Why would a mover allow you to underestimate a job?
Movers may sometimes underestimate a job in order to close a sale. If you're moving your home, you may be tempted to save money by lying to your moving company about the size of your move. However, this can backfire badly.
An unscrupulous mover will know that the job is more extensive than estimated and jack up the price during the move. They know that you are likely to pay the increased price because they have you at a disadvantage.
Here's how you can protect yourself from shady movers:
- The best movers will ask you probing questions and guide you to sizing your move properly.
- Read reviews of moving companies before choosing one to help you avoid shady moving companies that may try to take advantage of you.
- Get a low and high price estimate from the mover.
- Get multiple moving estimates. This way, you can compare prices and services and choose the moving company that's right for you.
- Get an in-home moving estimate. The moving company can see precisely what needs to be moved and give you a more accurate estimate.
If you're moving to a new home, it's important to work with a reliable moving company. A good mover will walk through all that your move will entail and provide an accurate estimate. When you're asking for a moving estimate, be sure to be honest about the size and scope of your move so that you can get an accurate estimate. Get an in-home moving estimate from a reputable moving company like Secured Moving Company to ensure a fair moving estimate and a smooth move.